Thursday, December 4, 2008
President Gas......Mood: Vigilant
It was an amazing forty-eight hours as the world awaited the naming of the next U.S. president. For someone politically jaded like myself, there was a stir of emotion equivalent to the discovery of a promising new technology; part fascination, part naiveté, and wholly imbued with an infectious joy towards an uncertain, and of course, a much anticipated, brighter future. Like the rest of the world, I am curious to see how the Obama/Biden/Clinton Administration will set out to improve the country’s failing economy, and reestablish effective government leadership.
Speaking of the former, the economy’s downturn also caught up with me in October as I was laid off from Time Inc. Publishing, advertising, marketing and all relevant industries have been hit hard, this article was recently published about layoffs at Time Inc. and Conde Nast. Getting laid off was a surprise, but ended up to be one that wasn’t so devastating. Hell, life takes its twists and turns, so naturally there will be more opportunities in the making. At least now I can have more time to write and plan out my next career move, hang out during the day with my freelancer friends, and run my errands during the week. It’s not so bad. The best part though, is I can stay up late without feeling like Tyler Durden the next day. Hallelujah.
October was also a hectic, but socially abundant month, half of which was spent coming down from the New York Fashion Week trip. Lindsey’s house warming party was a delight, and Anna’s ice skating birthday party was great fun, except this Michelle Kwan did not hit the ice, and instead hit the dancefloor at Bootybassment with Liz and Reina, and then hit up Jeremy’s 50% off sale with Liz and Pauline a few days later. The Ladies Lotto meeting at Ver Unica was fabulous, since the guest speakers were Liz and Gabriella, and the main topic of conversation was their foray into M.I.S.S., and most enjoyable was being able to spend time with some of the other M.I.S.S. ladies, since it’s such a rarity. Oh my god, and the preview of the YSL exhibition at the de Young was incredible. I was extremely excited to do the M.I.S.S. write up for it, since Yves Saint Laurent has always been my favorite designer, and I was able to see his partner, Pierre Berge (who was wearing an Obama pin) speak, which was superbly impressive as well.
November was interesting and quite social as well. Started with PST’s election celebration party at 330 Ritch with Reina, which was way totally off the hook. Saw the Official Tourist DJs at Pink with Liz, and was absolutely shocked but of course happy to run into Joe and Jason at the LW, since I hadn’t seen either of them for like two years. Hanging out with Theresa was also great fun, since her visits from Hawaii are so few and far between. Computer Rock at Laszlo’s to see Liz (who rocked the freestyle jams that night), Ryan, and Dylan DJ was a blast, especially since I got to see my homies, Errico and Pauline too. Hung out with Scott at Zeitgeist and then we saw Emo Philips at the Punchline. Sheng Wang opened for him, and it was a bit uncanny, since he totally reminds me of Errico, but in Asian form.
Thanksgiving included the perfect spead of Thanksgiving-ish treats Kwan style (turkeys, sides, ham, prime rib, taro shrimp - we call them “Hamsters” cause that’s what they kinda look like, chili, lamb stew, lumpias, spaghettti/meatballs, tamales, fresh crab salad, coffee cruch cake, flan etc.) My contribution this year was a sweet potato pie – completely from scratch, and super loaded deviled eggs (topped with bacon, scallions, and dill).
I’ve also been able to catch up on my list of TO SEE movies, and have gotten some reading done as well (and no, I am not a part of the Twilight cult like some others I know). I haven’t felt this wonderfully relaxed in a very long time. It’s a pretty awesome karmic package that I am so thankful for, and I’m really looking forward to more holiday visitors, including: Kira, Christle, Christine and Sergio, and their newborn, Isabella, and to the rest of the holiday season. Cheers to good food, friends, and family. There ain’t nothing better than that…well, a little YSL Y-mail clutch under the tree would be nice too! ;)
On my mind this week:
1. I found my favorite hot sauce of all time, and let me tell you, it’s been like the quest for the mf-ing holy grail. It all started back in 2003 when I discovered it in the lunchroom fridge while I was working at Enterprise Corporate. Then a few weeks ago, I was in Smart and Final, and lo and behold, there it was, and only a dollar! Florescent green and hot as hell. It’s sooooo good. I’ve been putting it on everything!!
2. The Tuesday PST (Pacific Standard Time) party at 330 Ritch is so much fun! For anybody who loves to dance to good hip hop music spun by great longtime Bay Area DJs like Sake1, (not obnoxious DJs spinning bad medleys flocked by suburbanite chicks wearing barely any clothes and too much makeup), and sans the meat market and hipsters, this is the place.
3. So before I was told by the specialists that my right breast is filled with fibro-cystic tissue and not cancer, I’m lying down on the examination table in my hospital gown, when the doctor says, “nice boots”, while she is examining my boobs (these Kitson Ugg boots embroidered with “LA” really big on them and studded with Swarovski crystals - the ones Hyphy Wifey Liz hates). The Freudian slip happened only in my head thank god, causing my jaw to drop for just a millisecond.
This was so rad. At the last Computer Rock at Laszlo’s, Dylan hooked up a Nintendo to the projector, so Super Mario Brothers 1 was like super ginormous Mario brothers. And oh my god, I can’t believe how great Liz’s memory is, can you say Warp Zone!!! Crazy…
5. I’m selling my organic cotton heated muscle packs/eye pillows and a small selection of vintage on Etsy. Here is the link to my Etsy Store, FLESHandBLOOD, if you want to check it out!!!
6. Aw ma gawd, the latest Mama collection, “Mi Vida Loca” is so fabulously badass. I’m hella esta loca loving it!
Check it out: http://www.missomnimedia.com/2008/12/mama-clothing-fw-08-la-vida-loca/
So we find life imitating art…and to Skinny Puppy too, nonetheless. Ahhhh Metropolis.
This Yelle video is sooooooooo cute, and too funny! ;)
But this, THIS is the funniest shit I’ve seen in a long time…sigh, what the hell happened to teen movies?!!!
Awesome Sites to Visit
- LITTLE MAGAZINE
- Fancy Food Fancy
- The Goods
- Verseau Vintage
- The SuperTaster
- Life/Style Times
- Something Beginning with 'T'
- Yoli Designs
- ▼ 2008 (6)